Department of Social Policy and Social Work
The Department was founded in 1995 as a masters degree program. In 1997 the bachelors degree was first offered, and then in 1999 the Ph.D.
1. Nurturing social policy professionals and social work academic research
2. Nurturing professionals in the areas of social welfare administration, social work practice, as well as social policy organization and evaluation.
3. Reinforcing international academic collaboration and exchange; thereby enhancing Taiwan’s international academic position in the areas of social policy and social work.
Our department offers courses in general social science theory, research methods and statistics, as well as courses related to both managerial and practical programs. These can be further divided into three sub-fields:
1. Social Policy Courses: Social Policy Analysis, Social Policy and Legislation, Comparative Social Policy, Social Security Systems around the world, Social Insurance, Social Aids, Poverty Research, Gender and Social Policy, etc.
2. Social Work Management Courses: NGO Management, Social Service Performance Management, Financial Management, Human Resource Management, Project Evaluation, etc.
3. Social Work Courses on the level of the individual, group, and community, in hospitals, families, and schools – as well as courses dealing with children, women, seniors, the disabled, and indigenous peoples. Special programs include social work supervision, social work and the law, issues of domestic violence, mental health, family treatment, etc.
Graduates who do not go on to pursue further academic studies can enter career paths at schools, medical facilities, caregiving centers, social welfare agencies, foundations, academic institutes, employment training or counseling centers, suicide prevention services, in the public sector, or human resource management area.